Mental health first aid
We will soon be offering a series of regional and online mental health first aid training courses for the biker community. If you would like to register an interest to participate on or host a course complete the form below and one of the MHM team will be in touch with you.
We are also looking for venues to host future courses. We would like to start by running courses in England, Scotland and Wales in late 2020 early 2021. Let us know if you want to sponsor this.
Typically a course will run over 2 days from 9-4pm and it leads to a certificate on successful completion (online course different timings).
Over the next few years our aim is to train a network of biker friendly mental health first aiders. Ultimately, we want a first aider in every town and city in the UK looking after the needs of bikers. Be part of the team that makes this happen.
But what is the mental health first aid course?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England offers a range of training courses from awareness raising to skill development. Courses are designed for everyone but we have personalised it to link into the Mental Health Motorbike creating a network of trained people sympathetic to the needs of bikers.
The course takes you on a journey to understand what mental health is. We discuss how we all have mental health, like physical health, and we teach people to look after their own and others’ wellbeing.
Our Mental Health First Aider courses:
- Encourage people to challenge the language we use around mental health
- Explore our different frames of reference and the stigma attached to mental health
- Help people to understand what good mental health looks like
- Explore the factors that can have an impact on our mental health
- Look at how to support yourself and others with self-care, giving the skills to influence your own mental health and help prevent mental ill health
- Teach how to intervene (including in a crisis), reassure and signpost to further support
- Teach about diagnosable mental health conditions, what unwell looks like and how to spot these signs in yourself and others
- Talk about what to do if you think someone is unwell and the steps to take for early intervention
- Talk about recovery from mental illness and looking forward
If you are interested complete the form below to register an interest.